Job role: treasurer
The CLP Treasurer plays a key role in every constituency, ensuring the local party complies with the party funding laws as well as helping the CLP to build the financial resources it needs to run effective campaigns by setting budgets and fundraising targets.
This guidance is designed to give an overview of your role and a summary of your responsibilities throughout the year. However, if you do have any questions then the Governance and Legal Unit are on hand to help out. Email them at firstname.lastname@example.org and they will be happy to assist.
As CLP Treasurer your main responsibilities are:
- To keep accurate financial records throughout the year
- Produce an Annual Statement of Accounts
- Identify and check donations and loans received/taken out by the CLP and report them to head office at the end of each quarter.
It should be noted that these duties are statutory requirements and are set out in the Political Parties Elections and Referendums Act 2000 (PPERA) which regulates all aspects of the Party’s finances from CLPs up to the national Party. The Treasurer shares the legal responsibility for the CLP’s finances with the CLP Chair who is also the Deputy Treasurer.
The Party must keep an up-to-date list of all CLP Registered Treasurers and Chairs so make sure that any changes are updated promptly on Members Centre or contact the Governance and Legal Unit at . We’ll send you regular updates and reminders and you can contact us anytime for advice or guidance.
It is really important that as the CLP treasurer you keep an accurate record of the CLP accounts throughout the year. Not only will this ensure you maintain a good grasp of the finances but it will also make it easier for you to compile your Statement of Annual accounts at the end of the year.
A few points to note:
- The Party’s financial year runs from 1 January to 31 December – not AGM to AGM
- Keep your records up to date so you can make regular reports – at least quarterly and ideally monthly – to your General Meeting and to your Executive Committee
- The Treasurer should be a signatory on all bank accounts held by the CLP – general, premises, campaign etc. and receive the bank statements.
This role isn’t open to job share.