The National Policy Forum has just launched a series of policy consultations, giving all CLPs, branches, and individual members a chance to have a say on future Labour policy.
Eight consultation papers have been produced ranging from democratic public ownership to Brexit. Each paper provides some background information and asks a series of key questions. We have until 30 June to submit our views.
In past years LI has made submissions on behalf of the CLP, and we have the same opportunity this year.
Here is the full list of topics with links to download the documents:
- Local accountability within the National Education Service: https://www.policyforum.labour.org.uk/commissions/education/local-accountability-within-the-national-education-service
- Democratic public ownership: https://www.policyforum.labour.org.uk/commissions/economy/democratic-public-ownership
- A sustainable food policy: https://www.policyforum.labour.org.uk/commissions/environment/a-sustainable-food-policy
- Rebuilding a public NHS: https://www.policyforum.labour.org.uk/commissions/health/rebuilding-a-public-nhs
- Local economic development: https://www.policyforum.labour.org.uk/commissions/housing-transport/local-economic-development
- Brexit: https://www.policyforum.labour.org.uk/commissions/international/brexit-consultation
- Building an effective criminal justice system: https://www.policyforum.labour.org.uk/commissions/home-affairs/building-an-effective-criminal-justice-system
- Rebuilding a just social security system: https://www.policyforum.labour.org.uk/commissions/work/rebuilding-a-just-social-security-system
I know from experience on the NPF that submissions from CLPs or branches get more attention than contributions from individual members (although those are welcome as well). If you are interested in drafting a submission for LI, here are the steps to follow:
- Read the consultation document.
- Pick out the questions you wish to focus on (no need to answer every question).
- Draft a resolution giving your thoughts in response to the questions (max 500 words).
- Submit your draft resolution to the secretary to schedule at a future LI meeting.
As LI representative to the NPF, I am willing to help any member through this process.