Labour has driven major developments in LGBT+ rights in the UK, from achieving an equal age of consent, to implementing some of the strongest protections for LGBT+ people against hate crime and discrimination in Western Europe.
Recognising how various identities intersect to experience oppression differently from others in the LGBT+ community is crucial to making further, fundamental change in the lives of the most vulnerable in areas such as housing, healthcare, employment and more.
Labour International need you to join us in making that further change.
What LGBT+ in Labour International can do?
Labour International’s LGBT+ Forum is the primary channel for discussion, presenting motions, and the formation of working groups to tackle LGBT+ oppression and inform UK Labour’s internal policy.
Our focus is both UK and International, with online meetings via Zoom once a month. Between meetings, activity carries on within smaller working groups and our Facebook group – motions and discussion points for meetings can be raised on the Facebook group or by email.
City and Branch LGBT+ Representatives
As Labour International’s LGBT+ activity is scattered across the globe, cities and branches with active LGBT+ campaigns will often have dedicated representatives to report back. This is an unofficial role which helps the LGBT+ Officer have an ‘ear to the ground’ on local activity.
To find out who your current branch or city rep is, mail Mark Whiley.
There is also a LGBT+ Officer for Young Labour International, William Carter.
You could do…
Campaigns need social media, they need organisational skills, they need creatives, they need good talkers, and they need you!
Below is what we’re currently working on. Doesn’t take your fancy? Propose something at our LGBT+ Forum!
- CSSD: Organising for Same Sex Marriage (Letter Writing; Setting up an LGBT+ Wing in Central and Eastern Europe/Czech Republic)
- Intersex and Third Gender Passport recognition in the UK (Amplify Support with other CLPS; Pass Motion)
- Support Queer Refugees (Charter Flights on the agenda of Migrant Rights Campaign; Working with Queer Refugee Charities in Berlin)
- GRA Consultation Submissions and Trans-forming Labour for Trans Awareness Week (w/Bristol)
- Inclusive Religious and Sexual Education (Photo Campaign of Terrance Higgins Trust)
- Allyship Programme (w/Bristol helping create awesome ally materials for the Programme)